LET FOOD BE THY MEDICINE AND MEDICINE BE THY FOODHIPOCRATES
OUR FOCUS FOR NOVEMBER IS TO REDUCE CHRONIC INFLAMMATION BY IMPLEMENTING THE BELOW PROTOCOLS, AND IN TURN, BOOST IMMUNITY, FIGHT OFF INFECTIONS, PREVENT DISEASE, IMPROVE MOOD AND ENERGY, LOSE WEIGHT, RELIEVE DIGESTIVE ISSUES, HEADACHES, SKIN ISSUES, JOINT ISSUES, AUTO IMMUNE CONDITIONS, AND FOOD SENSITIVITIES.
CHRONIC INFLAMMATION IS MOST TYPICALLY CAUSED BY INACTIVITY, POOR DIET, EXCESSIVE STRESS, SLEEP DEPRAVATION, ELEVATED BLOOD SUGAR, AND EXCESS FAT.
CREATING AN ENVIROMENT FOR YOUR MIND AND BODY TO PROSPER IS ESSENTIAL GIVEN THE CURRENT STATE OF THE WORLD. SET YOURSELF UIP FOR SUCCESS AND REAP THE BENEFITS COME THIS WINTER.
EXERCISE:TO LOWER BLOOD SUGAR AND INSULIN WHICH WILL LOWER OXIDATIVE STRESS AND DECREASE INFLAMMATION
NUTRITION: THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL FOR DECREASING INFLAMMATION AND BOOSTING IMMUNITY HEALTH. FOCUSING ON OVERALL NUTRITIONAL HEALTH.
RECOVERY AND MINDSET:FOCUSING ON QUALITY SLEEP AND DECREASING CHRONIC STRESS TO MITIGATE INFLAMMITORY RESPONSES.
- DAILY/EXERCISE AND MOVEMENT– Resistance training keeps joints healthy and strong and lowers inflammation levels as well as regulate hormone release in the body. Focus on doing some form of exercise each day depending on energy levels and how the body feels.
- HYDRATE– First thing in the morning, have a large glass (24oz) of room temperature water with fresh squeezed lemon. Strive for at least 1/2 oz per pound of body weight of water per day. Ideally closer to 1 oz of water per pound of body weight. (ie: if you weigh 150 lbs, strive for 75 oz of water, bonus if you drink 150 oz).
- LIMIT ALCOHOL/CAFFEINE– Both have inflammation lowering benefits due to their high antioxidant profile (red wine and coffee) but when consumed in excess both alcohol and caffeine lead to chronic inflammation
- CONSUME ANTIOXIDANT RICH FOODS– Eat colorful fruits/veggies, and dark leafy greens to maximize antioxidant intake and reduce free radicals that cause irritation and pain.
- red, blue, purple berries *raspberries preferable
- red and purple fruits
- kale, chard, spinach, and arugula
- crucifferuis veggies like
- cherries, beets, radishes
- AVOID PROCESSED AND REFINED FOODS– Inflammation is triggered by high calorie meals and high blood sugar levels. Remove processed and refined foods.
- REMOVE TRANS FATS– Trans fats are linked to increased obesity, Alzheimer’s, depression, high levels of inflammation, and cancer. Corn, canola, vegetables, soybean oil’s are examples of PUFA’s to avoid.
- MINIMIZE ADDED SUGARS– Sugar consumption leads to excess free radicals which can build up and lead to chronic inflammation.
- ADD SPICES TO COOKING AND BEVERAGES-Turmeric, cinnamon, chillies all have antioxidant properties that mitigate inflammation in the body. Implement these spices at dinner while cooking or add to an evening tea.
- OPTIMIZE VITAMIN D LEVELS– High vitamin D levels are associated with lower inflammation and better lung function.
- fish (salmon, trout, swordfish)
- GO GLUTEN FREE– Gluten is a highly inflammatory food. Try to remove all gluten for the next month to maximize our inflammation lowering protocol.
- ZINC TO IMPROVE MUSCLE AND LOWER INFLAMMATION– Zinc lowers inflammation, protects the heart, and is critical for overall health.
- red meat (beef, lamb, pork)
- shell fish (crab, shrimp, mussels)
- legumes (chickpeas, lentils, beans)
- seeds (hemp, chia, pumpkin)
- MELATONIN FOR VITALITY– Melatonin helps with sleep, aids muscle regeneration, and decreases oxidative stress by lower inflammation.
- fruits and vegetables (cherries, asparagus, olives, grapes, broccoli)
- nuts and seeds (walnuts, sunflower seeds, flax seeds)
- MAXIMIZE MAGNESIUM CONSUMPTION– Adequate magnesium levels are associated cardiovascular health, lower levels of inflammation, and muscle recovery/relaxation
- fish (salmon, halibut, tuna, mackerel)
- nuts/seeds (almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, pecans)
- SLEEP– One of, if not the most powerful ways to decrease inflammation and strengthen the immune system is via sleep. Strive for 8 hours of restful sleep going to bed and waking up around the same time everyday.
- COLD SHOWERS DAILY– Aim for a 2-5 minute daily cold shower. Cold showers aid in blood flow, helps reduce stress, increases energy, causes rapid fat loss, strengthens the immune system, and lowers inflammation.
- MEDITATION/GRATITUDE– There is a proven link between positive thinking/meditation and reduced inflammation. If 5-10 minutes of meditation isn’t up your alley, take 5 minutes daily to write down a couple things you are grateful for.